Tuesday 5 May 2015

Newsflash - Wine Affects Athletic Performance

(negatively...in case there was doubt)
Another lesson learned. Like the "you should drink water when you run for more than a wee while" lesson it's something I already know. But there is a difference between knowing and knowing, the kind of knowing that comes from experience. Like, I know it's not a good idea to eat 18 bits of toast and a packet of biscuits, I know there isn't physically room for that without some discomfort, but knowing isn't enough to stop me trying. Then you know. 

I know it's not a good idea to go south on the ferry in a storm when they've warned people not to travel. Of course I know that. But when you're clinging to the floor, your calming breaths and motivational pep-talk being interrupted by a squawky, old-enough-to-know-better Liverpudlian child puking at your feet, and you feel a little bit of sick soak through your sock (no parental intervention) and you wonder if murder on a boat in high seas is a forgiveable crime of passion. Then you know.

So today I did my first run after the 10 miler. I think the 10 miles affected me more than I thought, legs were a bit tired. But I think what affected me more than the 10 miles, was the 10 wines (<made up for number alliteration...I hope it wasn't 10...). I've not been out much at all this last couple of months, but when I have I have felt it for days afterwards. I like to think this is because I've morphed into an athlete. Part of me thinks it's because I'm getting old. Either way it is discouraging drink, which can only be a good thing I suppose.

I think the routine of a training plan is just making me notice. Something I did quite easily, like a sprightly spring lamb last week, sees me huffing and puffing like a condemned ewe this week. But I'll be better tomorrow. Tomorrow is "Tempo training" which sounds very fancy. I like to think I'm getting a little better at it - what was at first a change of speed imperceptible to the human eye is now a change of pace detectable by an actual measuring device, so tomorrow is the first step in my new get-faster master plan. Wish me luck...

Things I know this week - take it from me, you don't have to find out for yourself - it's a good idea to drink water when you're running, it might even be a good idea to eat something (thanks for the tips running ladies who've come with advice), and wine does not make me a better runner. I might go so far as to say it makes me considerably worse. And really grumpy. Like even more grumpy than usual. But I still know wine isn't necessarily bad. It means well.

These might seem obvious...I'm ok with that, I'm still working on the big things, not at the tiny margins stage quite yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment